Places in Prato:
Rediscovered places

The biggest nineteenth-century factory within the medieval walls of the old town

Campolmi

The biggest nineteenth-century factory within the medieval walls of the old town

The old “Cimatoria Campolmi Leopoldo and Co.” is the largest existing 19th-century factory inside the medieval walls of Prato's historical centre. It is located in the S. Chiara district; long ago a millstream used to run through this area, a factor that is sure to have contributed to the many artisans in the Arte di Calimala guild (wool processing) settling here. The original nucleus was later converted into a mill. In 1863 it was bought by three entrepreneurs already involved in the textile sector, among them Vincenzo Campolmi, who returned the place to its original textile vocation. After purchasing the bordering areas, the new company built the whole complex, whose oldest part is the cross vault structure that today comprises the ground floor level of the Textile Museum.

In the middle of the courtyard of the Campolmi building one can still see the large tank used to collect water and a 50m-high brick chimney.
The Municipality of Prato bought the former factory in the late 1990s and began its restoration. The first renovated section, completed in 2003, became home to the Textile Museum of Prato, while the remaining, splendidly renovated sections contain the "A. Lazzerini" Cultural and Documentation Institute of Prato and a large urban square between the factory and the medieval walls.

For more information:
www.comune.prato.it

More details

You might also like:

Textile MuseumActivities for schools, events and exhibitions dedicated to fashion

Read more


Lazzerini LibraryThe new public library of Prato

Read more